Your credit score is a critical component of your financial well being. Your credit score is computed from the information in one of your credit reports. Those credit reports are maintained by the major credit bureaus.
If there is an issue with your credit report, you’ll have to fight your way through the standard red tape of major corporations with the added complication that you aren’t really the credit bureau’s customer, so they really aren’t very interested in hearing from you in the first place. Finding a useful credit bureau phone number is, therefore, sometimes tricky.
Before Calling a Credit Bureau
Before you grab your phone and dial hoping to get credit bureau phone numbers live person access, consider whether or not calling the credit bureau will actually be useful to you. For example, if there is some incorrect information on your credit report, it may be better to dispute the wrong information in writing. Even if you call directly to the CEO, disputes still have to be made according to the credit bureau’s dispute procedure, so calling the wrong number is a waste of time.
Also, if you wish to enter your own customer statement into your credit report, that can be done electronically as well.
However, there may be times when you need to directly call the credit bureaus, in that case, try to find the right phone number for the function you are trying to achieve.
Phone Numbers for Credit Bureaus
These phone numbers may change in the future.
Experian Phone Numbers
- Order Credit Report: 1-888-397-3742
- Dispute Information on Credit Report: Call specific number on your credit report
- Report Fraud or Identity Theft: 1-888-397-3742
- Credit Freeze: State Dependent
Transunion Phone Numbers
- Free Credit Report if Denied Credit Call: 1-800-888-4213
- Order Credit Report By Phone: 1-800-888-4213
- Dispute Items on Credit Report: 1-800-916-8800
- Place Fraud Alert on Credit Report: 1-800-680-7289
- Place Security Freeze on Credit Report: 1-888-909-8872
- Main Number: 1-800-916-8800
Equifax Phone Numbers
- Report Fraud and Place Fraud Alert: 1-888-766-0008
- Place Security Freeze on Credit Report: 1-800-349-9960
- Credit Report Inquires: 1-800-685-111
- Order Credit Report and Credit Score: 1-866-493-9788
All three credit bureaus have a unified system to allow customers to opt-out of marketing offers and junk mail based upon your credit report. In other words, you can tell the credit bureaus to stop selling your credit report information to credit card companies and lenders. The phone number to opt-out of marketing from all three credit reporting companies is: 1-888-567-8688 (1-888-5-OPT-OUT)
Don’t forget that you can also get one free credit report from each credit bureau every year at annualcreditreport.com